Through the visits, contacts and interactions by members with their foreign colleagues in different universities, some proposed collaborative research and projects have been initiated. It is again essential to point out that the department in last semester, played host to a number of foreign university students and faculty members on an exchange programme for their field study and research from the University of Wisconsin at Plattsville, Michigan State University and Northern Illinois University all in the United States of America. Further collaborations were strengthened by hosting a PhD student from the Open University to conduct a focus group discussion on a study pertaining to the geography of malaria in Ghana.
Other international linkages have been established by the department. Some of which include the collaborative partnership between the Department and the University of Leeds and the Royal University of Holloway all in the United Kingdom; The Department of Geography,
University of California, Fresno in the USA and the State University of New York (SUNY), Geneseo. Partly, as a result of the collaboration with SUNY Geneseo, the department is in the process of setting up a Geographic Information Systems Laboratory to service its students at the Post graduate and the Undergraduate levels respectively.
The department on two successive years, had produced the over-all best graduating students from the entire College of Art and Social Sciences in the persons of Messrs Ganle Kuumuori and Asenso Opoku Afriyie for the 2006/07 and 2007/08 Academic years respectively. We are glad to say that Mr. Kuumuori applied for and won scholarships from five Universities in Europe including Oxford University, where he is currently pursuing a Master of Philosophy
(MPhil) Degree. Mr. Asenso is currently a Service Personnel attached to the office of the Head of Department.Staff-Students' participation in club activities and field trips to promote teaching and learning has been vibrant. Through the formation of the Geography Students Association (GeoSA) and the Tourism Students Association (TourSA), field trips and excursions have been organised to various places of geographic and Tourist interests. These include selected areas in the Central, Volta, Ashanti, Brong-Ahafo regions.
- Participant, Institute of Distance Learning Course Writers Workshop. 29th January 3rd February, 2009 at Nimak's Hotel Agona Ashanti.
- Participant, Workshop on Thesis Publication held at ICT Centre, KNUST from 18th 21st August, 2008 Resource Person: Dr. Carol Ventura of the Tennessee University of Art and Technology U.S.A.
- Ghana Geographical Association Annual General Meeting; Fifty years of Geography and National Development, August 13 -16, 2008. Sasakawa Centre. University of Cape Coast, Ghana.
- Convenor, Workshop on Malaria in Ghana. A collaboration with Open University, U.K. with PhD candidate, Uli Beisel. Use of Participatory Methods in Agogo and Ananekrom from 2nd 7th July, 2008.
- Presenter, Accessibility to and utilization of Primary Health Care in Ga, Dangme East and Dangme West Districts of the Greater Accra Region. Presented at the Seventeenth (17th) Intra-college Seminar, CASS, KNUST, Great Hall Conference Room on 19th March, 2008.